- Candidate must be an individual scientist or engineer. Groups or institutions will not be considered for this award. AAAS employees are ineligible. One scientist or engineer will be chosen to receive the award each year.
- Candidate must be a scientist or engineer actively conducting research in any scientific discipline (including social sciences and medicine). They may be based in academia, government or industry. Public engagement activities must be above and beyond job responsibilities.
- Candidate must be “early career” which is defined as an individual who has completed their terminal degree within seven years of the deadline for nominations.
- Candidate will have demonstrated excellence in his/her contributions to public engagement with science activities, with a focus on interactive dialogue between the individual and a non-scientific, public audience(s).
- Types of public engagement activities might include: informal science education, public outreach, public policy, and/or science communication activities, such as mass media, public dialogue, radio, TV and film, science cafés, science fairs, and social and online media.
- All nominations must be submitted and complete on or before 11:59pm ET on August 1.
- Nominations may be made by individuals, universities, government agencies, media, research organizations, and AAAS affiliate organizations. One nominator can nominate multiple candidates.
- Self-nominations are allowed - a letter of support from someone who can speak to the quality of your public engagement activities is required.
- Prior nomination does not exclude a candidate from consideration in subsequent years.
- The selection committee will include distinguished scientists, engineers, and science communicators named by AAAS. Decisions of the committee are final.
- During the award year, AAAS expects the recipient will continue participating in public engagement with science activities and initiatives.
Inquiries may be directed to the Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology via email.